I really don't like the whole 'couple' mentality. What is it about being in a couple that makes people lose their personal identities. I mean, before you become a 'couple' you're an individual with tastes, preferences, a personality. How come as soon as you're in a couple you lose those things? Why become an accessory of another person?
This stems from many conversations I've had today. It all began because Heather is home from Philly, with Mike. I love Mike, and I love Mike and Heather together. I think that they're a great couple and are fun to be around. But, I was friends with Heather first. And I think that since I don't see Heather very often (a few times a year, maybe?) it's important that she and I have one-on-one time together. We've been friends for a long time and there are certain things that I can talk about with her that I can't talk about with everyone. We sort of have an 'intimate' friendship...not in a gross way. I can tell Heather about Jon, or about cute guys at work, or talk to her about issues I have with Katelyn. I can't talk about these things with Mike, and I don't feel like I should have to. He doesn't know the history, and I don't feel like explaining it to him. But, every time I've seen Heather lately Mike has been around. He was home for her birthday (which I completely understand), and then for the other weekend Heather was home during the summer. He lives with Heather so when Katelyn, Alex and I went to see her new apartment in Philly he was there. And when Heather came home for Thanksgiving Mike was with her then too. And now Heather's home for Christmas Break and Mike's with her. So, if I want to do ANYTHING with Heather (shop, coffee, dinner, movies...) Mike's going to come too.
And I think that's stupid. If I want to hang out with Mike I can call him personally and invite him up to see me, right? But no, I can't. Mike and Heather, as a couple, come together in a package. And I sort of resent that. I want personal time with Heather. Heather's my friend and I should be allowed to do stuff with her, just the two of us. I'm not saying that we need to sit alone in a dark room together and stare and TALK intensely. That's weird. But some Becky/Heather bonding time would be nice. But, with recent developments, I fear that I might never have time with JUST Heather ever again.
And again, I repeat, that I don't dislike Mike. I REALLY think he's great. But if I want to hang out with Heather, that doesn't mean I want to hang out with Mike too. And I don't think I should HAVE to hang out with Mike in order to hang out with Heather.
So, I was talking to Rebecca about this. Saying that I was annoyed that Heather never does anything by herself anymore and that Mike is always around. And she, being in a relationship herself, completely understood! She said it was natural for couples to become little 'all or nothing packages' and that I shouldn't say anything to Heather about the situation for fear of upsetting her. And then, as I became obstinate, Rebecca continued and said that this is just the beginning and that eventually all friends in couples will only hang out together and all single friends will hit-the-town together...and that eventually friends will lose touch and it'll be OK.
Well, I'm not really OK with that. I value my friends a lot and the idea of the coupley ones not spending time with me or talking to me because I'm single SUCKS. I mean, aren't friends forever and not just until some guy/girl comes along?
And then I talked to Michelle about it because I started to get really upset (I mean, I wasn't talking about it but I was sitting at my desk almost tearing up) and she agreed. She said that if I was in relationship I would do the same thing and that it's normal to want to spend all your time with that one special person. I don't know. I don't like to spend all my time with anyone.
At lunch, we talked about the topic for a bit. My friends from work on my side, which gives me hope.
I won't ever forget about my friends because I'm in a relationship. And I don't think my friends should forget about me either.
What if I really do end up alone?
Anyway, besides that, things are going well. Almost 1 week til apartment move in! I purchased a really nice quilt set at target, which I'll post a link to later. And, Christmas with the fam went well...
I'll just write more later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment