Thursday, September 20, 2007

I guess I have a life now

So, I guess I have an official "adult" life now...which makes it very hard to find the time/energy to update my blog! Shame on me.

I started work on Monday and even though it's only been 4 days I feel like weeks or months or years might even have passed. My days start at 5:45 when I wake up to get ready to be out of the house by 6:45 to be on a 7:00 train to New York. I arrive at Grand Central at 7:55 and get on the 6 subway (heading uptown), which is always, on the downside, crowded, but on the upside, air-conditioned. I take the 6 train 4 stops to 68th Street, grab a free paper, and walk to my office.

My office is located at 42 E. 69th St between Park and Madison Avenues. It's beautiful. I smile when I walk to work because I can't believe it.

The building was a privately owned home in the 1800's and now houses the Jewish National Fund's national headquarters, the JNF's Greater New York office, The Orrom Shalom Institute and Media Watch. Walking up the central, spiral staircase at 8:30 in the morning I look at paintings, photographs, hold on to a wooden railing, am basked in warm, yellow light. By my desk, on the second floor, there's a ready supply of coffee and water. There are always people coming and going. I hear office gossip. I hear people speaking on the phone with their families and friends. I see sun coming in from the conference room next to my desk.

Maybe my office is the home I always wished I had. It's presentable, it's comfortable, everyone's Jewish and proud to be so.

My days go by quickly. I answer phone calls on my THREE "phones" (main phone, cordless phone that's an extension of the main phone, wireless head set that can be used with the main phone), I make copies and type up documents for my boss, I chit-chat with people in the office as they go to get coffee or talk with the office administrator whose desk is 15 feet from mine. I take my lunch break way too late, but so far I always take it in central park. I do a good job and I smile while I'm doing it. I eat leftovers from meetings (all of which are kosher and most of which are bagels or deli sandwiches-how stereotypical, right?). I talk on the phone with the Director of Planned Giving a few times a day as he remotely accesses my phone to get it up and running (he went to M.I.T. and learned how to work with phones there...so he helps out with the phones in our office even though that's not his real job). My boss jokes that he's my best friend.

Could my best friend be a middle-aged, dorky, Jewish guy from Long Island?

I leave work around 5:40 and take the subway down to Grand Central. There are A LOT of people on the subways at this time...

I get the 6:04 train to New Haven stopping in Stamford first (second if you count 125th street. why don't they count 125th street?). Katelyn or Josh or my mom pick me up.

I go home. Eat dinner. Watch TV. Play with the cats.

Then I go to sleep so I can do it all over again. That's my job, basically, as I can best describe it. Sometime when there's not a morning meeting going on I'm going to take pictures of the office and post them on here.

1 comment:

Kristyn said...

BECKY! you´re job sounds awesome, and like it fits you really well. i´d love to see your office and the park. tty soon.