Monday, January 21, 2008

Playing hookie!

I took today off from work! It's the first personal day that I've taken in over 4 months-and it feels really good. I did laundry, slept in a little and am now working on decorating my room.

To recap:
I had a pretty good weekend. Friday night Katelyn and Alex came to see my apartment. We went out to dinner/drinks too. I was glad to have them come and check out Astoria...though Katelyn was being a bit of a downer. I really don't think she smiled at ALL during dinner. How can someone not smile in TWO HOURS?! That type of life wouldn't work for me but...

It was the last time I'll see Alex for a month too. She's off on her English adventure (she saved up money during her last semester of school and left Sunday for a month in England! She's never been overseas-I hope she has fun!)...I expect a postcard ;)

They left around 9 and then I got ready and met Debbie and a group of her friends in the East Village for a concert/drinks. The concert was so fun! The band is called The Gaskets and they have dancey/rocky songs and really cool dance moves. The singer dances on stage like I dance when I'm alone in my room listening to music on my computer. He was so uninhibited which made everyone in the crowd feel freer...so I got to dance around like I was 5 :) Dancing is a better way to relieve stress than drinks I think. Who would have thought that I'd ever say something like that?

Debbie's friend were really nice too and I enjoyed joking around with them and being part of a big group. It's interesting for me to meet new people. I feel like the more new people I meet the more I learn about myself. I used to think that I was different around different groups of people and that I had separate, disparate 'Beckys'. But, that's not really true anymore. I mean, of course I don't talk about the same things with my nana as I do with my boss or my friends from college. But overall, I'm the same with everyone and seeing how I react to new situations and new people helps me see the kind of person I am. I don't know if that makes sense BUT anyway...

I got to explore a different area of the city, meet new people, dance in a silly way, have a gin & tonic, eat some good french fries (there's this place called 'pommes frites' in the East Village that has DELICIOUS fries with different dipping sauces...MMM)...all in all, a good night.

Saturday, I met Kia downtown for lunch and a movie. We went to COSI <3 And I got to have some delicious tomato soup...I really, really like tomato soup. And Cosi has GOOD tomato soup with a side of their MMMM delicious bread. My love for tomato soup might be a phase. Or maybe not? Well, went to see the movie '27 Dresses' which was really cute and funny. It's nice spending time with Kia :)

And then, I met my sister and we went home until this morning. We had brunch plans on Sunday with long-time family friends of ours, The Malakoffs, so we took the train home Saturday night, hung out at home Saturday night and then did brunch yesterday. The Malakoffs are the best people ever! They made delicious food for us and had lots of funny stories to tell. They're really warm people and I just feel good when I'm around them. They've led such interesting lives and done so many great things...I want to be like them when I grow up! Lisa (Mrs. Malakoff) said she's going to help me make a t-shirt quilt that I've been planning so that's cool! I'll get a fun quilt/get to see her more often too!

So yeah. now I'm in my room, sitting on the floor (my laundry is on my bed), going to put up some postcards, going to put my laundry away, eat lunch and then take some pictures of my room/neighborhood to post up here. Stay tuned!

No comments: