Saturday, November 24, 2007

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

It's been a bit too long since I posted in here-whoops! I guess I've been busy and working on my novel so I can justify my absence. But, I'm going to make more of an effort to post in here during the week so that I can keep up.

Well, since I posted last a few things have happened. First of all, I'm still looking for an apartment in Astoria which is taking up my Sundays. I haven't had time to go look at apartments during the week because of: holidays or guests or doing things after work (going to plays or over peoples' apartments etc.), so the past two Sundays I've driven in to Astoria (it's only an hour drive from my house) and looked at apartments. So far, no dice. But, I'm looking at 4 apartments, maybe 5, again tomorrow so maybe something will come up? It's actually kind of fun looking at places. In Astoria, there are so many different KINDS of apartments that it's interesting to see building architecture and neighborhood dynamics. Some of the apartments I've seen are HUGE, set up in old buildings on quiet, residential streets. Other apartments have been smaller and more modern, in very commercial areas. And, all of the people whose apartments I've seen are diverse too. One pair of roomates were in their 30's, one was Jewish and one was chinese. Another pair of roomates was from California and very laid back. Two girls were from Connecticut and very prissy. Interesting. I really want to find something soon so I can start to do more fun stuff after work (I get asked to go for drinks or out to dinner sometimes after work and I can't go because I have no ride home from the train station, or because it's too far from Grand Central and I'd end up getting home at like 12 or 1 which is too late if I have to get up at 5:30 every day), and so I can end this 'college is finished' transitional time. I feel like everyone else has completely moved on after finishing college, and I have moved on too. But I don't feel like my 'moving on' is complete since I'm still living at home. It's not the same. And, I'm looking forward to decorating a room and having guests come and really LIVING in New York! It's going to be fun!

Second of all, I'm still working on my novel. I'm a bit behind though...But I have 30,000 words! It's fun working on something and being creative. My job isn't very creative so I find that I want to be creative all the time now. Before, when I was working on papers or studying for tests or interning I didn't have the energy to draw pictures or make collages or write for fun. In college, I wanted to spend time with my friends if I had down time. Or I had errands to run in between working on things for class. Or I had laundry to do or whatever. But now that I don't have homework, or errands to run really, and I just kind of sit at a desk all day, I am always doodling or wanting to work on my novel. So, my novel is still about a girl who just graduated college. She has graduated, moved back home, is kind of looking for jobs but not really, and might start dating this guy from high school that she ran into. I need to develop some type of plot twist right now since nothing is really happening but...no pressure I guess. I've already accepted the fact that I won't finish the novel by Nov. 30th but I'm proud of myself for trying and doing it anyway.

Third of all, I had guests last weekend!! Michelle, Melissa and Rainu came up to NYC last weekend :) I can't believe it was a week ago already...weird. They came up Thursday night and picked me up at work. Except, they typed my work address wrong into Melissa's GPS so...they were TWO hours late to pick me up. I was just sitting at my desk...everyone else had left the building except for the building maintenance guys. They were like 'Um...is everything OK?' thinking I was running away from home and deciding to live at work. I mean, I DID have a sleeping bag with me and food and a full backpack.

We went out to dinner near Penn Station, at this empty but really delicious Italian restaurant. Then we went for a drink and went back to my step-dad's apartment in Brooklyn Heights (where we all stayed). Rainu took the train back to NJ so that she could spend the night with her family. I woke up and went to work Friday til 1 and then met Melissa and Michelle near Times Square for lunch. We went to this brewery (of course) and I had the most delicious pumpkin spice beer! I don't even LIKE beer but I REALLY liked this beer. Then we did some shopping at Macy's and H&M and went to 2 of the shadiest bars while we waited for Rainu to take the train into NYC from NJ.

Long story short, we ended up getting hit on by a group of 8 Irish carpenters. We got free whisky shots, I got a kiss on cheek, we all were creeped out and then we left to meet up with Rainu. We went back to my step-dad's apartment, got ready, and then met up with Lana, Kelsy and Wes (Michelle's friends) for dinner at a Cuban restaurant near Grand Central.

The restaurant was really nice inside and we had DELICIOUS Sangria. I'd heard a lot about Kelsy and Wes from Michelle, Caitlin and Marilyn so it was nice to finally meet them. They were REALLY nice and funny. Wes works in music publishing (jealous) so we were talking about music and just telling stupid jokes. People's boyfriends/girlfriends always end up really liking me. I wonder what it is...
But, it was nice to talk to Wes about music because I feel like I don't get to talk about music to any of my friends. And last year, I got used to talking about music news or new CDs at my internship...now I don't have that outlet anymore.

After dinner, we met up with Michelle's friend from home, Barbara at this "frat party" type bar in Tribeca. The bar was too dark and too loud and too small but Melissa, Rainu and I danced and had fun while Michelle caught up with Barbara. Michelle's other friend, Sarah, and the guy she's dating, forget his name, met up with us. It was nice to meet Sarah, also, because I'd heard a lot about her from Michelle. And yes, she is just as beautiful in person, and just as nice as Michelle said. She's the type of girl you wish you hated. Or maybe, it's just me.

After an hour or so in the not-so-nice bar, we went and caught a cab uptown (which took 45 minutes-why?!?! I don't know) to 55 and Lex. (right near where I work!) and went to a beautiful, trendy, everyone-was-on-cocaine bar called 'Oza' or something like that. It was moroccan styled with hanging lanterns, rose petals on the carpets, hookas set up, satin sheets hanging from the walls. It was the most beautiful club I've ever been in in my life. We stayed there til 2 or something (well, Michelle left and went to go meet up with Barbara and spend the night at her apartment), and then took a 2 hour voyage back to Brooklyn. I don't understand the NYC Subway at all. We got home at 4:15, woke up, had breakfast at 11, and then they all left.

It was really fun having them, but also sad. I miss DC on a daily basis anyway, and they were a reminder of college to me and what my life used to be like. So, they made me miss DC more. And they were talking about all the clubs they've been to lately and all these funny stories...which made me sad. I used to be a part of those funny stories, and now I'm not. But, we had a lot of funny times ourselves over the weekend so that'll tide me over til I can see all of them again. It made me miss the people that weren't with us too like Kristyn, Julia, Giuliana, Marilyn, Gerardo, friends from study abroad...

And, what else?
Work is still going well. Though, last week my boss told me that my friends can't come and stand around my desk as much anymore because it looks 'unprofessional'. Damn. I understand what she's saying and it probably ISN'T professional for the receptionist to have people just standing around talking at their desk, but, I like talking to my friends during the day!! Oh well-she can't take lunch time away from us!
I'm getting a little more responsibility, managing some employment lists for the HR dept., keeping track of donor records, helping set up conference calls and stuff. I like it :)
Tonight, I'm actually going in to Astoria to a "get together" at my friend Gabby's apartment and then sleeping over at my other friend Erin's apartment. Wednesday, 6 of us are going to see a play called "Dai" after work that we got free tickets to. We're gonna do dinner/drinks beforehand. It should be a lot of fun. :)

Oh, and the title of this entry: Thanksgiving. Well, Thanksgiving was a good time. My sister DID end up coming home, so it was nice to have her. We watched some of "The West Wing" (I'm trying to get into it) and just talked and had fun. On the actual DAY of the holiday, we went up to my Aunt's house (as usual) where I proceeded to have two glasses of wine, a full plate of food, two pieces of pie-a lot to be thankful for. My cousins' and I played 9 rounds of scattegories which was pretty hilarious. Letter 'B' for car category:BIG suv. I dont' think so Andrew.

I got calls from friends and text messages and e-mails. I was well feed and am happy with my job and will probabl find an apartment soon. In a city of my choice. I'm saving money, having fun, relaxing, reading, writing, playing with my cats, shopping, eating well. I have a lot to be thankful for.

1 comment:

Kristyn said...

Becky! that was a great entry. It sounds like you had a lot of fun! I`m happy you got to meet cool people and see old friends. yay. I miss clubs, I don`t even remember what it`s like. I spent the last few days with friends, because we all had to go to this city to get vaccinations from the PCorps doctors. So it was a lot of fun, but we were just so dirty the whole time,because there was no water, and we hung out at a gas station one night with some Hondurans, because gas stations are big hang outs here. i no longer have any standards of cleanliness. Julia would be appalled. that`s awesome you`re looking at all those apartments. I hope you find something really good. I`m going to start asking this week about houses in town. I need my own space. I really can`t wait. isn`t that funny, we are moving into our own places at the same time? and you started your job the day i got my site assignment. our lives align, even far apart.