After two interviews, in two days, in one city (New York), I've decided that I don't want a job in sales. The fast/loud-talking, The competitive work environment, The abrupt behavior-it's not for me. Maybe I'm not in the position to be shutting off a whole area of potential jobs for myself but oh well-I'm putting myself there. I'm giving myself the power to say 'NO TO SALES!'.
So the past little while has been busy, busy, busy. It's almost like I don't even have time for a job! (I might be exaggerating).
Last week I moved Kate into her Brooklyn apartment. The apartment is very nice, lots of character. I think Kate will be happy there. The move was pretty hell-ish and involved carrying 30+ big boxes of books up and down two flights of stairs, a PACKED cargo van, a 4 hour trip to IKEA, rain and a stuck-in-the-doorway box spring. But, now that some time has passed, I can say that it went 'OK'. Forget the hours of traffic to and from Brooklyn, the fact that my sister didn't reimburse me for gas (I think she has a problem with that!), the fatigue-that's done and over with. I did my sisterly duties. The move went 'well'.
I also started to really apply for jobs last week. I mean, I've been applying all summer, but I actually sat at home all day last Wednesday and Thursday and did job searches/applications at monster.com and careerbuilder.com and nytimes.com etc. etc. Truth be told, it was kind of depressing sitting in the house, in pajamas, knowing that my friends were at work while I was lamely applying for work. I know that's the perspective I'm giving myself, that applying for jobs isn't really lame, that everyone has their own 'calling' and we can't all have jobs at the same time. I know that...but sometimes I don't feel it. Instead sometimes I feel pathetic for not having a job yet and hopeless that maybe the right job won't ever open up for me. So, hopefully there aren't too many more days of sitting at home applying for jobs in my future. I have to get a job sometime don't I?
And then last weekend I went to Allentown to visit with Rebecca (and Dan), and then Philly to visit with Heather and Mike and Jon (and Katelyn and Alex). YAY!
I got to Allentown Friday afternoon, hung out with Rebecca and Dan in their apartment, talked some 'Men's Health' gossip (since Rebecca is interning there and it's pretty much her life right now) and then we went to the movies around 7. We saw 'Super Bad' with some of the other 'Men's Health' interns. Hm. It was funny and I definitely approved on one hand, but it was vulgar and I was definitely grossed out on the other. I would probably give out recommendations based on who was asking me. After the movie the interns came back to Rebecca's and we all hung out and drank. Vodka-Cran anyone?
Saturday Rebecca and I did a driving tour of the area (it was too hot to move outside). She seems really happy in Allentown and knows a lot of the area's 'hot spots' already. I'm glad she likes her job and is finding new friends to hang out with too.
After I left Rebecca, I drove to Jon's house, parked my car there and he drove us up to Philly chez Heather and Mike. Their apartment is REALLY cute and in a few weeks when it's all set up and painted will be fabulous! We hung out until Katelyn and Alex arrived and then the girls went on an alcohol-finding mission. We bought some boxed wine (I know it sounds gross but it's pretty good and cost efficient-can't argue with that!) that we ate with quiche and 5-layer dip. MMMM. At around 10 we headed off to a birthday party near UPENN that Heather had been invited to through 'Teach for America' (that's what she's doing in Philly). It was an interesting party and I saw some RANDOM AU people there. Well, they're actually living in Philly now so I guess that would make me the RANDOM AU person...oh well. It's MY perspective here. I love going to parties so it's assumed that I had a good time.
We stayed at the party for a little bit and then headed home to see Alex and Katelyn back off to Stamford. Jon and I slept over and in the morning picked up my sister (who was also in Philly for the weekend), headed back to Allentown (only after Heather made us some pancakes on her new, huge, ridiculous griddle) and then Kate and I headed home. The fact that Kate made me stop at Target for 1 hour, made me take a ridiculously trafficy route to Brooklyn, and didn't pay me for gas is another story...
But-Heather and Mike seem happy living together and I think Philly is a good city for them to be in right now.
Adding the interviews in the city yesterday with the interview I had in the city today to this little recap I'd say that now you're all caught up. I don't know who 'you' are (kristyn?)...but I'm just saying.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment