Thursday, October 4, 2007

We're one mistake from being together...

So let's not ask why it's not right...

Ok. That's just a song lyric that I have in my head-surprise surprise. Metro Station-Seventeen Forever incase you're curious and in the mood for some dance-pop-punk music :)

Yesterday was a day that was both good and bad.
In the morning, I was working on name badges for that National Conference next week. I got the section of the of the badges where I had to start typing up and printing out staff badges. I noticed that my name wasn't in the list with the rest of the staff so I went to my boss to ask her about it.

"Oh, I'd been meaning to tell you..." she said.
"You can't go to the national conference. You're a support staff position, an since support staff positions are unionized we'd have to pay you overtime to attend the conference next weekend. We don't have money in our budget to pay you, so you can't attend."

OK. So at that point I was thinking a few things:
1) After all this work, after cancelling plans to go to DC for Michelle's birthday, after having to give my word that I'd be there now I CAN'T GO? what the fuck!
2) Support staff? what does that mean?
3) Will I be able to participate in the office "culture" (i.e. staff conference, office holiday parties, office birthday parties etc.) now, since I'm not a professional staff member?
4) Hm, can I go to DC now instead?
5) Why did she wait so long to tell me this?
6) That sucks! I wanted to see Elie Wiesel speak on Saturday night!

Out of the above 6 options, in typical Becky "the partyer" fashion, I asked "So, next year when it comes time for staff conference, would I be able to go to that?"
"No"

I went out to my desk, not in tears because it wasn't that dramatic, but feeling a little defeated. It's hard enough to start a new job where everyone seems to be so close, in a city where you don't know many people. It's hard trying to fit in. Now I have the distinction in my head between 'professional staff' (about 85% of the people working in my office) and 'support staff' (you do that math)...which labels me in a way that I don't want to be labeled. It's just another little "hurdle" to overcome...

Luckily, at that time, my friend came to my desk and I told her what had happened. She doens't work for JNF but for Media-Watch, an organization that rents building space from JNF on the first floor. She knows what it's like to not go to staff conference...It was nice to have her to commiserate with.

Now for the good from yesterday: Now I can go to DC for Michelle's birthday! And while I'm in DC I'll be able to participate with Jon in the Leukemia Walk that he raises money for every year! And I'll be able to take pictures with my short hair! And...! And...!

And, yesterday I got to have lunch with my crush at work! I started off having lunch w/ Deb, Tara and Alicia. Gabby came out a few minutes later with my crush. He sat next to me and we got to have our first more-than-1-minute conversation since I started working. He's funny but really corny and he has nice eyes. We shall see :)

And, later on in the day my boss called me into her office to tell me what a good job I've been doing in the past 3 weeks. And then Pnina, the assistant to the Israel Emissary, stopped me to tell me that she liked my necklace which led to a discussion about my birthday and how mature I am for my age and how she thinks I carry myself very well. It's always nice to hear compliments!

I don't have work today! So the plan is: lunch with mom at school, going to the bank, hanging out with Josh, doing laundry for my weekend trip to PA! I'm going apple picking for the first time in 6 years!

1 comment:

Kristyn said...

hiiiiii. sorry about the conference. but at least you get to go to dc! and you´re doing lots of other fun stuff. miss you lots.