This weekend I took a much needed trip to DC. On Thursday when I worked 11 hours, and on Friday when I stayed 3.5 hours extra, I didn't feel like I'd ever make it to DC. As my boss was shouting orders as me, as I skipped yet ANOTHER lunch break, as I was forced to ignore my hunger and just work, work, work I felt like DC was in another country on an another continent across the world. I felt like I had made up my friends who live there and like I had imagined all the fun times that I've had there.
But, finally, 4:30 rolled around and I got to go catch my bus! My bus was supposed to leave at 4:30, but was cancelled and pushed back to 5:30, but was delayed and ended up leaving around 6. I was so anxious! Michelle, who's birthday it was, was calling me and asking me when I thought I'd get to DC because she was organizing evening plans. Jon, who I'd invited along to come out with Michelle (&CO) and me, was calling asking what the evening plans were. There was traffic, there were people fighting in arabic (I think it was arabic), There was a man next to me FILING HIS NAILS (gross!!!! who does that in public?!?!?!)....but finally I made it to DC around 11 pm. I cut in the cab line across from BestBuy in Tenleytown (I know it was wrong but I was in a hurry!) and rushed over to 4200 Cathedral Ave. where Michelle is staying with Farhad. Gerardo, Esteban, Maribel, JP and a few others were there drinking (Whiskey and Coke of course) when Jon (Jon met me in front of the building and we walked in together) and I walked in Michelle wasn't there...
She'd gone down to the lobby to meet me. And I had somehow missed her and just walked up with Jon. So much for a grand entrance! So we drank quickly, I got dressed in 3 minutes and we headed out to Dupont and to Citron (where else could we have gone? I mean really). Well, I had a GREAT time. I was trying to teach Jon how to salsa, and was dancing with Esteban and Gerardo. Michelle bought us all drinks and shots (I don't know if she intended to buy us all drinks but she ended up doing it anyway-whoops!), we danced and jumped in a big circle to Mana's "Oye Mi Amor", we laughed, some of us cried (seriously), some of us peed (in the bathroom). After my stressful week at work it was so nice to just relax and let go...at the best club <3
We got home around 3 and went to bed. Saturday we woke up (Michelle, JP and I) and hung out around the apartment. Then Michelle and I went to Ruby Tuesday's where we had the most AWKWARD waiter ever, and to run some errands around Tenleytown. It was just like being in college again...except I didn't recognize anyone anymore. Elliot came and met us so we sat with him while he ate some lunch and looked for some movies at Hollywood Video. It was so nice to see him.
Then we went back to the apartment and watched some 'Heroes' and then Michelle and I walked over to Metro Center so that I could meet up with Jon for the "Light The Night" walk downtown. It was a really silly walk...one of those times where you forget that you're in public and that other people can hear what you're saying and see what you're doing. Oh well! We had a good time.
The "Light the Night" walk was nice. They closed off Pennsylvania avenue, and thousands of people with lit up balloons were walking towards the Capitol. There was a rock band playing, a marching band from a local high school performing and some cheerleaders cheering throughout the walk route to encourage people. Oh, and incase people don't know, "Light the Night" is a charity walk for blood cancers. Jon raises money for it every year because he has a friend who died from Leukemia in high school. So, he raises money and then walks in this walk to honor his friend. I had gone with him two years ago so since I was going to be in DC I thought it would be nice to go with him again.
I'm glad I went. It was so beautiful :) I miss DC architecture so much! And it was nice to have some alone time to chat with Jon too.
After the walk, Jon went home and I went to Dupont to meet up with Michelle, Elliot and Farhad for dinner. I wasn't really that hungry because I was kind of hungover, but the pita and hummus at the restaurant were DELICIOUS so I managed to eat some of that. There's always room in my stomach for pita and hummus. Well, pita and HOMMUS (they spelled it that way at the restaurant). Then we walked across the street to Cosi (I don't care what ANYONE says. I LOVE COSI) and two of Michelle's other friends came and met us and we had coffee and dessert. After that we went home because we were exhausted and I wanted to watch "Knocked UP". Never mind the fact that I fell asleep 10 minutes into the movies...
This morning Michelle and I met Giuliana and Jason (of course) in Dupont for breakfast. We grabbed some bagel sandwiches from COSI (two times in 1 day!!!!!!! ) and met G and J at starbucks where they had, somehow, gotten us an outdoor table for four (right next to an adorable dog too). After about 45 minutes they were ready to go so Michelle and I walked to where my bus was going to leave from. We walked to this "beautiful" park Michelle knew right by Farragut West. For some reason, at 11:45 am on a Sunday, it was full of sleeping homeless men with shopping carts. We sat anyway and talked for a bit and then I got on the bus to go back...
It was tiring to do all this traveling after my hectic week but I was really glad to go down and spend time with Michelle on her birthday! She's been feeling lonely lately, and I have too, so we enjoyed just being in each other's company and laughing about stupid stuff like we used to. I was glad to be there for her on her special day and spend time with her :)
Hopefully I'm in for a SLOW, PEACEFUL, even BORING work week. We'll see
I need to start looking for an apartment soon I think
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
oh my god that makes me miss dc so much. it was really nice reading about your weekend, i could imagine myself with you. i miss you guys a ton. things are good though. i really like my site and my family. i gave a talk in the school yesterday to 1st-3rd graders and the 1st graders cant read or write really and they had a really hard time following instructions for games, so it was interesting, but they were really cute.
Post a Comment