Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Closing time...

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Maia and I had a conversation today about why so many songs on the radio have to do with 'love'. I didn't really know what to tell her. I've never really been in 'I love you, you love me' kind of love...so I guess it's hard to speak when you don't have experience...but

what is SO GREAT about love?

I would just really like someone to tell me. Can a life with friend-love and family-love be as fulfilling as a life with boyfriend/husband-love? Or, can a life without SEX be fulfilling? It seems that with all the songs on the radio talking about love and sex, and all the romantic comedies out in theaters, and all the hype about Valentines Day, and all the talk about marriage (Even though I haven't graduated college yet) etc. that life without love CAN'T be fulfilling or good. I don't know how I feel about that.

So, the romantic in me, who buys into society's value of romantic-love, says that 'YES' of course romantic-love is the ultimate achievement/accomplishment (I don't really know what to call it...it's not like you really accomplish love but whatever). And I think of how great it would be to find someone who could understand me, and love me for me...all aspects of me not just the funny side of my personality or my caring side. And I think of how great it would be to actually have a DATE for things like parties, or family functions, or to go to the movies with me. But then I worry that I might just want love out of convenience, and not for love itself.

But then, the independent woman in me says 'I DON'T NEED a man in my life, or romance, to be happy!'. I have friends. And am about to graduate college. I have family. I have opportunities to travel. I have passion. I have hobbies. I've seen amazing things...and will see amazing things in the future. What do I need love and romance for? Shouldn't the love I have for myself, and for my friends and family be enough?

Probably. I like love songs, because they remind of me possibilities. Love songs help me imagine what it would be like to be in love, and opens me up the possibility of it all. Maybe I'll give romance a try some day. And, even if no one is in love with me right now, at least I have a song that can act as my significant other. I can have an anonymous voice tell me that I'm great, and beautiful, and that it wants to be with me. And I think that other people like love songs for the same reason. If you can't be loved by a person, why not be loved by a song?


The purpose in life is to be important, and wanted, and loved. Love songs, even if only for 3 minutes, make everyone feel those three things. Sure, curing cancer or finding an AIDS vaccine is great-but what's the point of all that if you don't have love in your life? Love is purpose. It's just determing what kind of love is the purpose in your life that's the hard part.

4 comments:

E said...

i would argue that loving oneself is the most valuable achievement, considering it's hard to do. instead of waiting for someone else to define you, when you love yourself they accompany you, enhance you. and you can take more pleasure in friend love and romantic love, because you can realize how much you, as an individual, contribute to those encounters, as well as how much you are able to reap and appreciate.

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

Yeah, loving oneself and being happy with yourself is the ultimate happiness in life I would think. This entry wasn't really about that so much, as it was about the external love that someone can let into their life.

thanks for commenting <3

Becky said...

I like how I change between 'oneself' and 'yourself' in my reply to your comment.

oh well...